Barfield Road Cemetery/War Graves
Sometimes known as God's Acre, the land was bought by West Mersea Parish Council in 1895 from Willoughby John Bean for £140. The first person to be buried in Barfield Road Cemetery in January 1900 was Elijah Reid.
There are ten war graves in Barfield Road Cemetery. For more details click here to view the Commonwealth War Graves Commission link.
War Graves list of names and grave numbers: click here
War Graves location map: click here
The graveyard has been closed for new burials since the 1940's but family graves can be opened, with the relevant permission, to accommodate other family members. The Town Council owns and maintains the cemetery.
A group of volunteers have carried out a Restoration Project at Barfield Road Cemetery to restore it to its original state and they have done a great job.
Location map: Barfield Road, West Mersea, Mersea Island, Essex, CO5 8QT