The Parish Church of St Peter & St Paul churchyard has been closed since November 1889 (except for the re-opening of family graves). It is mostly maintained by the Parochial Church Council with the Town Council maintaining the trees, shrubs, grass cutting and other essential ground maintenance.
The church is 7th century - much of the fabric consisting of recycled Roman tiles and brick.
A substantial Roman Villa once stood hereabouts and the churchyard covers part of the Roman mosaic floor of this Villa. Many coffins have been laid on the surface of this floor before being buried.
Location map: St Peter & St Pauls Churchyard, High Street, West Mersea, Mersea Island, Essex, CO5 8QD