Other Useful Information


Colchester Borough Council are enforcing the Advertisement Regulations 2007.
For advertising information please click: advertising 
To report any suspected illegal advertisement boards please click: planning enforcement 
To search for a planning application please click: planning on the map 
To read more about Fly posting please click: fly posting 

Please note that planning permission is required if you wish to advertise within the Conservation Area. You can advertise in an area without any restrictictions as long as the poster complies with the rules (link above) then no consent is required from the Local Planning Authority (CBC).  

There are various public noticeboards in Mersea; Rotunda (charities only), Barclays Bank (inside), Tesco (inside), Coop (inside), petrol station, Seaview bus shelter, Victoria Esplanade car park hut and East Mersea Village Hall car park. 


Two beach wheelchairs to hire for a donation - 'D-Bug' and 'Hippocampe' (more sporty model).
Tel: 01206 383855 or 07946 888063


For Blue Badge enquires click here or telephone 0345 603 7630.


West Mersea has six car parks. Please see map for locations. The full postal addresses can be found on the Colchester Borough Council website: West Mersea Car Parks 

The Coast Road area becomes extremely busy during the summer months and parking is very limited. This area is better accessed on foot after parking at the Library car park or using on street parking, but please be considerate of private driveway access.
There is plenty of seafront parking available at Willoughby car park, Victoria Esplanade car park or Seaview car park. These three car parks are very near to the beach area, public toilets, picnic areas and cafes

Cashless parking using MiPermit is available in all car parks: www.mipermit.com 


If any residents live in an at risk property, please ensure that you are signed up to the Environment Agency to receive flood warnings.
Tel: 0345 988 1188.
The government also recommends that residents complete a Personal Flood Plan click here.
Website: www.gov.uk/prepare-for-flooding 
Please note: The Council does not provide sandbags.


For fly posting information please click: fly posting 


To report fly tipping please click: fly tipping 

Dispose of waste carefully: read more 


Definitive Footpaths (numbered). Mr Jason Botelho, Public Rights of Way Inspector, Essex County Council.
Email: jason.botelho@essexhighways.org 

To report any issues on a Public Rights of Way, please use the online reporting link: click here 

Non-definitive Footpaths (not numbered) are maintained by Highways, Essex County Council.
For on-line reporting click here or telephone 0345 603 7631. 

Permissive Footpaths - Maintained by West Mersea Town Council. 

To view a footpath map click here 


Forthcoming activity alert: shoeburyness activity  
MOD reports: noise and vibration study 


There is no legislation to obligate horse riders to uplift any dung dropped on the road or pathways, however if safe to do so they are encouraged to dismount and kick it to the side out of the way of other path or road users. Riding schools are also encouraged to clear up any dung if close to a public road which they use regularly. The council have no enforcement powers to force horse riders to clear up after their horses as unlike dog fouling, horse dung from a healthy horse presents no risk to human health.


It is that time of year when both West Mersea Town Council and Colchester Borough Council receive complaints of noise from motorised paragliders. There is no license required to use a motorised paraglider which is governed by the Civil Aviation Authority and is a self-regulated sport under the auspices of the British Hang Gliding and Paragliding Association (BHPA).

Noise from any form of aircraft, including motorised paragliders, is currently exempted from the statutory nuisance legislation which is used to control noise and therefore Colchester Borough Council has no formal powers to deal with any complaints regarding disturbance caused by motorised paragliders flying over, or in the vicinity of, residential properties.


Parking on yellow lines, car park pay machine problems etc are the responsibility of North Essex Parking Partnership.
Website: www.colchester.gov.uk/Parking-Enforcement 
Email: parking@colchester.gov.uk 
Tel: 01206 282316


The RCCE co-ordinate an oil buying scheme focussed on reducing the cost of heating oil - click here for more details.


To report a power cut telephone 105, this number also gives you information about power cuts in the area.
Website: ukpowernetworks
To report a gas emergency telephone 0800 111999.
To register as a vulnerable customer please click here 


Water Bathing Quality - For further information - Mersea Water Quality or Mersea Bathing Water Quality